Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Studying in Rome

My name is Taryn Watkins. There’s not too much else to say about me, but God has done so much for me, and there is a ton to say about that. I have been blessed with so many things, among them a deep desire to learn who God is. Another blessing God has given me is a talent and passion for art, hence I am about to graduate from Illinois State University in May with a degree in painting. This has lead me to pray about what God wants from me after I graduate.

I have a deep love for my Catholic faith and the Newman Center has been an integral part of the development of that faith. The more I learn, not just about but who God is, the more I want to know. And while I think that reading and prayer are essential, I also know the value of a formal education. I would very much like to continue my education in Theology and I feel that God is calling me to this. I would like to study at the St. Thomas Aquinas Pontifical University (Angelicum) to obtain my Licentiate in Theology. This is a four year program in Rome where I will study Philosophy for two years and Theology for the next two. What happens after that is all part of Gods plan (which he knows and I don’t yet) but while there I hope to further not only my education in a formal sense but also experience the liturgy of different rites and deepen my understanding of the profound mysteries of the Mass. I would love to experience the Universal Church in this way and also have an opportunity to volunteer with the Missionaries of Charity in Russia (another one of my loves). And there are so many other opportunities to enrich my passion for art and the liturgy!

But, I need help getting there! How can you help? I am asking for prayers most of all, and that’s not just a thing that I am saying. This is actually what I need more than anyone else (those who know me best will tell ya). But if you would also like to help with the physical realities of studying too, I am selling paintings and other works (some of which you can see on this blog, more to come!) and I would love to do custom commissions as well. A portrait of your family or icons of your patron saint, whatever you would like. I also have a handy donate button. You can help me in my mission to do God’s work! You are needed to make this possible! If you are at all interested in buying any work or in commissioning something specific, please contact me directly at
tarynawatkins@gmail.com. I will be updating this blog with updates as they come, thank you so much.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment