Wednesday, February 2, 2011

A Day I Look Forward to...

I look forward to this day every year; the liturgy is very beautiful and personally God has made this day very special for me. My words don't do justice though to the reality of the Incarnate Word that has become the Light for all of us, so I will let Simeon's Canticle from Luke's Gospel speak for me. Here is a "setting of the canticle of Simeon written by Sir Gustav Holst in 1915 for the choir of Westminster Cathedral; unusually, R. R. Terry first performed it on Easter Sunday that year. The piece is scored for an eight-part choir, and in tribute to Terry's work in reviving Renaissance polyphony, it makes references to older musical styles including antiphonal effects (reminiscent of Venetian Renaissance music), and a fine contrapuntal 'Amen'. Beginning with what has been described as a "musical sunrise", it is a fitting example of sacred music with which to celebrate this feast of Christ's light. " (Br Lawrence Lew, O.P)



I was more than a little disappointed that there was no Masses anywhere today because of this enormous blizzard...

No comments:

Post a Comment